Sunday, November 7, 2010

Atomic Number Ten


South Shore Line neon sign, originally uploaded by William 74.
I've always liked neon signs, and seek them out whenever I can find them. I actually hadn't gone looking in a while, but a bunch of recent finds has re-ignited this interest (see what I did there?), and I've decided to share some of my favorites in a new weekly feature-welcome to Neon Sunday, everyone!

Of course, I'm not sharing one of those new signs, and am instead sharing an old favorite. This beauty is at the Illinois Railway Museum, and is for the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad, which was an electric commuter railroad that ran from Indiana into Chicago. Once part of the Insull empire that included several other interurbans, the South Shore survives today as part of the Metra system of commuter trains that serve the city.

This sign originally stood at the Gary, Indiana station and dates from the 1950's. I love this one, particularly the little train along the top. I took this a couple of years ago, and in the interim it's been beautifully restored and now works perfectly. You can see it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment