Monday, June 25, 2012

Divco Deuce

Ford by William 74
Ford, a photo by William 74 on Flickr.
I liked this car the second I saw it-I liked the stance, the color, the six Strombergs atop the motor, the chop, but mostly I liked the wheels, a super rare set of "milk truck" steelies.

Milk truck wheels were just that-wheels from old Divco milk delivery trucks. In the very early days, a few hot rodders discovered that these trucks had really tall wheels, which gave a usefully tall final drive ratio for speed events. But, they were pretty heavy, and kind of plain, and never really caught on for street-driven rods.

Genuine Divco wheels were also hard to find (although I bet a lot of them were just thrown away back in the day), and even more so now. But, other manufacturers used a similar pattern-I think these are actually Plymouth "high clearance" wheels-but any milk truck style wheel is a neat style choice. Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment