Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sprague's Super Service

Sprague's  by William 74
Sprague's , a photo by William 74 on Flickr.

Opened in 1931, Sprague's Super Service was a large gas station and cafe along Route 66, on what was then the outskirts of Normal, Illinois. It housed several different restaurants and stations, and was used until 1976. This old sign is the only one that remains, although the building is still in very nice condition.

Now on the National Register of Historic Places, there are hopes that this Route 66 classic can be reopened.

2 comments:

  1. I am the owner of the building. Thanks for posting this photo. The signs are not original to the building but I can't seem to take them down because I find them so interesting in their current state. I have gotten a lot done to the building recently thanks to grants, volunteers, and my rapidly-shrinking savings account. Stay tuned. I WILL restore this building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, and it's nice to hear that it's being preserved!

    ReplyDelete